Skip to page content | Track My Order | Leave Feedback | Login/Register | Customer Services | FREE STANDARD UK DELIVERY OVER £50!


Store Finder - Find a Store

Home » News » Sheep death sparks country code reminder

Delivery Country and Currency Selector

Please select your delivery country from the drop down below.

Please select your currency from the drop down below.

Update site with selected country and currency

We now ship to United Kingdom from £0.00

If you are not visiting from United Kingdom please select
your country from the drop down below.

Continue To GO Outdoors


Sheep death sparks country code reminder

Posted 14 March 2012
Back to News

Sheep death sparks country code reminder
Bookmark and Share
People who like to go walking in the countryside have been reminded to follow the Countryside Code and shut gates after several sheep died from poisoning in the North York Moors National Park.

Walkers passing through a field at East Moor Farm near Pickering in North Yorkshire left two gates open and seven sheep wandered through the gap, later dying after eating either ivy rhododendron leaves.

Worse still, the gates had self-closing mechanisms but one was tied open and the other propped open.

Farmer Mike Cleasby said: "To deliberately tie open a gate in a field where livestock are kept just beggars belief."

He has since been displaying a picture of the dead sheep on the gate as a reminder to walkers.

A national park spokesman appealed to the public to follow the Countryside Code, which states walkers should leave gates as they find them.

It also states that anyone who finds an animal in distress should not try to help it themselves, but contact the farmer instead.ADNFCR-2803-ID-801317104-ADNFCR