Skip to page content
Home » News » Climbers warned over using stoves at high altitude

Delivery Country and Currency Selector

Please select your delivery country from the drop down below.

Please select your currency from the drop down below.

Update site with selected country and currency

We now ship to United Kingdom from £0.00

If you are not visiting from United Kingdom please select
your country from the drop down below.





Continue To GO Outdoors
Welcome!

News

Climbers warned over using stoves at high altitude

Posted 8 July 2011
Back to News

Climbers warned over using stoves at high altitude
Bookmark and Share
Climbing enthusiasts have been warned of the dangers of using stoves inside their tents at high altitude after one man nearly died doing so.

Alpine Club member Dave Wynne-Jones told Grough.co.uk that he had to be resuscitated after he became unconscious and stopped breathing during an expedition to Mongolia.

He revealed that he went into a fit and had to be rescued by other climbers nearby.

Mr Wynne-Jones warned others to be vigilant when using stoves in their tents, claiming that many people are unaware of the dangers at high altitude.

"All the work on the levels of CO [carbon monoxide] required to cause unconsciousness are based on sea-level pressure levels and little is known on the levels of CO required to do this at altitude," he told the news provider.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include severe headaches, breathlessness, nausea, dizziness, chest pains and loss of consciousness.
 ADNFCR-2803-ID-800615942-ADNFCR