Acquire awe-inspiring footage with an action camera
They say a picture is worth a thousand words but sometimes there’s nothing quite like video to capture the whole story in all of its glory. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your action camera.
Action cams are quickly becoming a must have bit of kit for fans of the outdoors. With the likes of GoPro being the most familiar, there are other fantastic action cams on the market such as Veho Muvi Cams also.
“Get your wetsuit on and get truly immersed in some water-sports action. Spend a bit of time observing howthe wave riders manoeuvre. Try and get dynamic photos that bring energy into the picture.” – Phil Hemsley
- Test shots. It’s all about finding out what works best for you. Mounting your camera on yourhelmet can result in less shaky footage than mounting it on your bike.
- The whole picture. Capture the whole story by shooting from varied angles.
- Planning. Deciding on the story before you begin filming will make the video footage more seamless.
“Google Maps and Google Earth are useful forfinding photo locations. Scout your location prior toshooting and look at other photographer’s work toget inspiration – but never copy artists’ work.” –Robert Keighley
- Practice makes perfect. Be completely familiar with your camera and all of its settings so you can press the buttons from memory and focus more on what’s in front of you.
- Snap photos. You don’t have to just record video footage on your action camera – you can use it to take photos too. Snap a series of photos in quick motion if your subject is changing quickly; you’re more likely to get the best shot by taking many photos rather than waiting for the perfect one.
Looking for a project to help test out your skills?
Join our #ScrapbookOutdoors photo project, where we are trying to capture a year outdoors by setting different photography themes each week. Every Wednesday we gather up our favourites and feature them on our blog, before a new theme starts every Thursday.